Date: 28th September 2009

I am a pharmacy student. For an academic study, i need to scrap out some tissues from inside of cheek area, will it violate my fast b'coz i will have to do this experiment while am fasting

Question

i am a pharmacy student. For an academic study, i need to scrap out some tissues from inside of cheek area, will it violate my fast b'coz i will have to do this experiment while am fasting.

Answer

Your fast will not break by simply scraping the cheek.  However, if this causes your cheek to bleed and the blood goes into your stomach, then your fast will break.  This is when the blood is equal to or more than your saliva, or if you can taste the blood. 

(أحسن الفتاوى، كتاب الصوم: 4/436؛ سعيد)

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,