Date: 4th September 2009

Does all Zakaat then fall into this date of discharge or would jewellery purchased on a date different from the above date need to be discharged one year from the date it was purchased?

Question

It is my understanding that a person's Zakaat date needs to be determined and that exact date is the date it will be due every year (Islamic date). For as long as I can remember I have been discharging my Zakaat in full in Ramadhaan, but this was not based on determining exactly what the date was once I became liable for Zakaat. I tried making sense of it myself but found that I cannot use the date I started working as I was already paying Zakaat prior to this based on the savings I had. The only option I see other than this is to calculate it based on when I became baaligh. The problem with this is I dont know exactly when this was, do I base it on the general maturity age for males (13), based on my Islamic date of birth?

Answer

1)        If you were Saĥibe Nisāb (one who owned the Nisāb amount) at puberty, then Zakāh will be calculated from the age of puberty; if you are unsure of when you became Bāligh, then calculate from the minimum age of puberty, which is the age of 12 lunar years (approximately 11 solar years and 8 months) for boys and 9 lunar years (approximately 8 solar years and 9 months) for girls.

Bulūg (Maturity) is gauged by a minor having a wet dream (ejaculation) and in the case of a girl, Haidh or pregnancy; if this did not occur, then a minor boy or girl will automatically become Balig at the age of 15 lunar years (14 solar years and 7 months).

( بلوغ الغلام بالاحتلام والإحبال والإنزال ) والأصل هو الإنزال ( والجارية بالاحتلام والحيض والحبل ) ولم يذكر الإنزال صريحا لأنه قلما يعلم منها ( فإن لم يوجد فيهما ) شيء ( فحتى يتم لكل منهما خمس عشرة سنة به يفتى ) لقصر أعمار أهل زماننا

(Al Durul Mukhtār pg 153/154 vol. 6)

2)      Zakāh on jewellery will be discharged on the same day as other Zakāh; it will not be discharged a year from the date of purchase. In other words, if for example Zakāh is paid every year on the 1st  of Ramadhān, even if the jewellery was purchased on the 27th of Sha’bān, Zakāh will be paid on that jewellery on the 1st of Ramadhān that year.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Zakariyya bin Ahmed,

Ml. Abrar Mirza,