Country: Europe
Date: 27th August 2009

I have to take meds to stay alive hence i cannot fast

Question

i have a illness which i have had from birth it is cystic fibrosis and i have to take lots of medicen and nebs everyday, and i just wanted to no about ramadam how do i go about it am i not to do it because of my medicen or is their a way for people that are ill. i have to take my tablets and nebs to stay alive. shucran bacalaughphe . ramadam mubarak.

Answer

It is permissible for you to not fast and continue taking your tablets.  Instead, for each fast, you will have to donate 1.6 kilograms of wheat or its value to the poor.

(أحسن الفتاوى، كتاب الصوم: 4/430؛ سعيد)

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,