Country: Pakistan
Date: 27th August 2009

I would like to ask you one question that I want to give Zakat to my sister in law. I am Syed. My wife is not syed. But my mother in law is syed. My father in law was not syed. But I also want tell you...

Question

I would like to ask you one question that I want to give Zakat to my sister in law. I am Syed. My wife is not syed. But my mother in law is syed. My father in law was not syed. But I also want tell you details of my sali. She has two children. Her husband has one shop attached with his house. The house owner & shop owner is his mother. Mother is suppose to care of all expences.She also collect & spend all money which she got from shop. She also giving 3000/month as a school fees. Her husband not give money to wife for her medical. I want to give money as a zakat for her medical expences. Can I give her that money. I would also like to inform you that her husband also got 20 lac from warasat. but that money with husband's mother. And she dont want to give that money to son. Because she thinking, he will spend.

Answer

It is the husband’s duty to take good care of his wife. If he had inherited such a large amount of money, he should obtain it from his mother and gladly spend it on his wife’s medical needs. Instead of his wife having to accept Zakāt, this would be the ideal thing for him to do.

His mother should also bear in mind that her son is an adult with a family of his own; he is not a minor and has the right to spend the money he earns or inherits.  

However, if the situation cannot be corrected and the she cannot afford to see to her needs, she would be eligible for Zakāt.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Zakariyya bin Ahmed,

Ml. Abrar Mirza,