Country: Pakistan
Date: 26th August 2009

1- Its 9th Week of pregnancy for my wife , Can my wife fast in these days? 2- Can I get closer to my wife during fasting? 3- Can I use eye drops during fasting as I got eye infection...

Question

1- Its 9th Week of pregnancy for my wife , Can my wife fast in these days?
2- Can I get closer to my wife during fasting?
3- Can I use eye drops during fasting as I got eye infection

Answer

1.       If your wife’s doctor says it is safe for her and the child if she fasts, then she should fast, if she is capable of doing so.

2.       It is not permissible to have intimate relations with one’s wife while fasting.  Touching and kissing while fasting are makrūh (disliked) unless there is no fear of it leading to an act that will break the fast, such as intimacy or ejaculation. 

3.       It is permissible to use eye drops while fasting.

اكتحل الصائم لم يفسد وإن وجد طعمه في حلقه عند عامة العلماء

(بدائع الصنائع، كتاب الصوم: 2/93؛ العربي)

(أحسن الفتاوى، كتاب الصوم: 4/439؛ سعيد)

(فتاوى محمودية، كتاب الصوم، باب ما يفسد الصوم وما لا يفسد: 10/144-145؛ فاروقية)

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,