Date: 21st August 2009

Hajrat before few days I had told someone this Hadis as a Hadis e Qudsi “ALLAH says, If you turn 70 times a day with repentance and ask for forgiveness I would forgive you and I shall not care...

Question

Jazakallah for your Noble effort. May ALLAH reward you abundantly. Hajrat before few days I had told someone this Hadis as a Hadis e Qudsi “ALLAH says, If you turn 70 times a day with repentance and ask for forgiveness I would forgive you and I shall not care (That your sins were so many).”  What this is really Hadis e Qudsi? I am much upset cause day before yesterday I read nearly same Hadis in Muntakhab Ahadis. The Hadis Was “Abu Bakr  Radiallahu Ta’ala Anhu narrates that Rasulallah Sallallahu Alayhi wasallam said, he who seek forgiveness is not a persistent sinner, even though he return to his sin 70 times in a day. (Abu Dawud) He who repents after committing a sin and has a firm intention not to repeat it, he is likely to be forgiven despite committing that sin repeatedly. (Bazhul Majhud). “

After read this Hadis I afraid, I realize instead of this Hadis I had told them that Hadis by mistake and told them its as a Hadis e Qudsi. Now if it is not Hadis e Qudsi then its Bohtan on ALLAH? I repents to ALLAH and ask him to forgive me cause I am not in position to contact them whom I had told this Hadis. Please reply me as soon as possible.

Answer

It is indeed important that we are exceptionally cautious when it comes to narrating  ahaadeeth. Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) expounds on the importance of being diligent when relating any ahaadeeth from him by declaring:-

)عن عبد الرحمن بن عبد الله بن مسعود عن أبيه قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم ( من كذب علي متعمدا فليتبوأ مقعده من النار )

“That person who fabricates a hadeeth against me then he should prepare his abode in the hellfire”

The Sahaba (Ridwanullahi Ta’ala alaihim ajmaeen) were extremely cautious with regards to this and when they heard this statement, it made them restless out of the fear that perhaps they may have erred in quoting from Nabi (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) something which Nabi (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) did not mention. It is for this reason they use to always say after every hadeethكما قال  او -something to the effect of…..Anas ibn Maalik (Radiallahu Anhu) says: “Whenever I related a hadeeth from Nabi (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam), I always said   او كما قال at the end of the hadeeth”.

Amr ibn Maimoon (Radiallahu Anhu) says: “Every Thursday night I used to visit Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (Radiallahu Anhu) and I never heard him quoting Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) in any matters until one night I heard him saying, “Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said”. After he said this, he paused and retreated. (The narrator says)  “I looked at him and to my utter surprisement he was standing; the buttons of his shirt were open. His eyes became extremely red and his veins were protruding and he was saying, “Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said something lesser than this or something more than this or something close to this or something similar to this”    

(Sunan ibn Majah Pg 4 Qadeemi)

We are humans and tend to err at times, however this weakness of man should not be entertained when it involves such delicate aspects. Alhamdulillah, you have confessed to your mistake and have repented. We advise you to continue repenting and exercise more caution in future. Most Definitely Allah Ta’ala knows what is in your heart and will forgive you.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Ebrahim Desai,