Date: 6th August 2009

I have just given birth to a baby girl on July 9, 2009 Alhumdulillah. Ramzan starts in the last week of August, I would like to know, if I could keep fasting while I am breast feeding or not ?

Question

I have just given birth to a baby girl on July 9, 2009 Alhumdulillah. For now I am breast feeding my baby.
For a woman who has given birth, how many days should she wait to be considered clean before she starts performing Prayers,Fasting,reading Quran etc.
Ramzan starts in the last week of August, I would like to know, if I could keep fasting while I am breast feeding or not ?

Answer

The blood experienced after child blood is referred to as Nifaas in Shariah.
The maximum period of Nifaas is forty days and there is no limit for the minimum period.
During Nifaas, one is excused from offering Salaat, however fasting is not excused. She will have to make Qada of all missed fasts. The rules concerning fasting, Salaat and sexual intercourse during haid (menstruation) are the same for Nifaas.

You should consult with a competent upright Muslim doctor to advise you, if your fasting would affect your health and that of the baby while you are breastfeeding. If he advises that fasting would be detrimental to your health and that of the child, you would be excused. However you should make Qada of your missed fasts once you are able to do so.

Behisti Zewar, Zam Zam Publisher, Vol 1, Pg 95
Behisti Zewar, Zam Zam Publisher, Vol 1, Pg 292

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Luqman Hansrot,