Date: 20th July 2009

I would like to give money towards feeding people in the musjid, esspecially in Ramadaan. Should i send the food itself or may i give money towards this and what intention must i make? will this money be Lillah or Sadaqah?

Question

My question is regarding the kinds of Sadaqah which i could give.  I would like to give money towards feeding people in the musjid, esspecially in Ramadaan.  Should i send the food itself or may i give money towards this and what intention must i make? will this money be Lillah or Sadaqah?

Answer

The term lillāh applies to anything which is done for the sole pleasure of Allāh Ta’ālā.  It is very broad and inclusive of all types of good deeds.  It is not mutually exclusive to sadaqah, and all types of sadaqah given for the pleasure of Allāh Ta’ālā will be considered as lillāh.

Hence, with the intention of sadaqah (not zakāh) for the pleasure of Allāh Ta’ālā (i.e. lillāh), you may either give the money towards feeding people in the Masjid or you may provide the actual food itself.  Both of the two options are valid and rewarding, inshāAllāh.   

Also, it is worthwhile to note that even though sadaqah is permissible and rewarding when spent on wealthy people, it is more virtuous and even more  rewarding when spent on the poor and those in need.  Therefore, if the people in the Masjid are well off, then it will be comparatively more rewarding to feed the poor.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,