Fatwa: # 18109
Category: Jurisprudence and Rulings...
Country: Pakistan
Date: 15th July 2009


Is there any Qadha for Iddah?


iddat is a farz and if some one can not perform iddat immediately after divorce is there any QAZA for it. i had this wrong concept in my mind that iddat can be started anytime after divorce for 130 days


In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh


The time for ‘iddah starts immediately after the issuance of divorce or death of the husband.  There is no qadā’ of ‘iddah.  If the ‘iddah time has passed without the woman observing ‘iddah due to some reason, then she should make istighfār for not observing the laws of ‘iddah.


Furthermore, the ‘iddah for a divorce is three menstrual cycles (or three months for non-menstruating women), not 130 days.  Rather, the ‘iddah for a widow is four months and ten days (or 130 days).


وَالْمُطَلَّقَاتُ يَتَرَبَّصْنَ بِأَنْفُسِهِنَّ ثَلَاثَةَ قُرُوءٍ وَلَا يَحِلُّ لَهُنَّ أَنْ يَكْتُمْنَ مَا خَلَقَ اللَّهُ فِي أَرْحَامِهِنَّ إِنْ كُنَّ يُؤْمِنَّ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَبُعُولَتُهُنَّ أَحَقُّ بِرَدِّهِنَّ فِي ذَلِكَ إِنْ أَرَادُوا إِصْلَاحًا وَلَهُنَّ مِثْلُ الَّذِي عَلَيْهِنَّ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَلِلرِّجَالِ عَلَيْهِنَّ دَرَجَةٌ وَاللَّهُ عَزِيزٌ حَكِيمٌ (البقرة: 228)


وَالَّذِينَ يُتَوَفَّوْنَ مِنْكُمْ وَيَذَرُونَ أَزْوَاجًا يَتَرَبَّصْنَ بِأَنْفُسِهِنَّ أَرْبَعَةَ أَشْهُرٍ وَعَشْرًا فَإِذَا بَلَغْنَ أَجَلَهُنَّ فَلَا جُنَاحَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِيمَا فَعَلْنَ فِي أَنْفُسِهِنَّ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَاللَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرٌ (البقرة: 234)


هي انتظار مدة معلومة يلزم المرأة بعد زوال النكاح حقيقة أو شبهة

(الفتاوى العالمكيرية، كتاب الطلاق، الباب الثالث عشر: 1/526؛ رشيدية)


( ومبدأ العدة بعد الطلاق و ) بعد ( الموت ) على الفور ( وتنقضي العدة وإن جهلت ) المرأة ( بهما ) أي بالطلاق والموت لأنها أجل فلا يشترط العلم بمضيه

(الدر المختار المطبوع برد المحتار، كتاب الطلاق، باب العدة: 3/520؛ سعيد)


And Allah knows best

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]