Date: 15th July 2009

It happened that I reached to Mosque for Zu’har and I did not find any one there and the time for Zu’har is up. I offered 4 rakat sunnah, then the Azan is pronounced. Do I need to repeat the sunnah?

Question

What should be recited during Qaida(Attiyyatu in second rakat) in 4 rakat Sunnat-e-Muekkada and 4 rakat Sunnat-e-GhairMuakkeda?

Often, when I reach Mosque for Zu’har, the Jamaat is started and I offer the Fard with Jamat. What about the 4 Sunnat Muakkeda? Is it required to offer it after the Fard? What about 2 sunnat-e-Muakkeda for Fajr(Morning) Prayers?

Answer

1.      If a person commences with the four-raka’ats sunnat mu’akkada of zohr after zawaal, then the azaan is called out, this will not have any effect on his salaah nor will he have to repeat the salaah.

2.      In the first sitting called qa’idah ula, the duaa of tashahhud should be recited only i.e. Attahiyyaatu Lillahi Wassalawaatu…If anything extra is recited then this will be contrary to the sunnah.

3.      The four-raka’ats sunnat muakkada of zohr can be read after the farz salaah if they were left out due to a valid reason e.g.: time constrains, however one should be punctual on these salaah and perform them at their masnoon times. The two-raka’ats sunnat muakkada of fajr have been emphasized greatly in the Hadith and should not be left out. If it is left out due to some valid reason, then it should be read once the sun has risen considerably.

(Badaai us Sanaai’u V1 Pg 499 Darul Kitab)

(Bahishti Zewar Pg 182 Zam Zam)

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Ebrahim Desai,