Answered Date: Jun 30,2009

Title: Hazrat my mother passed away on 7th of june (may Allah bless her with eternal peace). A couple of questions arose at the time of the funeral.

Question

BismillahirRahmanirRaheem

Assalaamualaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Hazrat my mother passed away on 7th of june (may Allah bless her with eternal peace). A couple of questions arose at the time of the funeral.

1. who is more rightful for the imamat of funeral prayers - the imam of masjid or the wali (i.e son)?
2. can the wali suggest anyone to do the imamat despite the prescence of the imam of the masjid??
3. it was my wish to do the imamat of my mother's funeral prayers but i wasnt allowed as some said that i dont have a proper beard. should have i done the imamat?
4. how should a corpse be placed in grave. do we only have to turn the face of the deceased towards Qiblah or the whole body has to be slightly turned towards Qiblah using the support of the side of the grave?
5. can we give the fidyah for the prayers she missed, due to her illness, from her belongings or we should give it from other sources?
6. can i perform hajj on her behalf as it was her deepest desire? i havent performed my hajj as its not mandatory for me yet since i havent started to earn on my own.
7. what in your opinion is the best sadqa e jariah for her. what will be the best gift for her from me?

Answer

1.  The Imām has more of a right than the walī for the imāmah of the funeral prayers.  Therefore, it is not correct for the walī to ask someone else, including himself, to lead the prayers [i].

2.  Please see #1.

3.  Please see #1.

4.  The whole body should be turned towards the qiblah in the grave, not just the head [ii].

5.  If the deceased did not make a will (wasiyyah) to offer fidyah for her missed prayers, then her loved ones may give the fidyah from their wealth, not the deceased’s wealth [iii].

6.  If hajj is not mandatory on you, you may still perform a nafl hajj on behalf of your mother.  However, you will still need to perform hajj for yourself in the future when it becomes mandatory on you [iv].

7.  There are several ways of making sadaqah jāriyah on behalf of your mother, such as donating to a Masjid, madrasah, sponsoring a hifz/’ālim course student, placing copies of the Qur’ān or other Islāmic books in the Masjid or another library, etc.  The best of these would be that which is most needed.

[i]

ذكر محمد رحمه الله تعالى في كتاب الصلاة أن إمام الحي أولى بالصلاة على الميت...ثم بعد إمام الحي ولي الميت أولى

(المحيط البرهاني، كتاب الصلاة، الفصل الثاني الثلاثون: 3/86؛ إدارة)

فذكر في الأصل أن إمام الحي أحق بالصلاة على الميت

(بدائع الصنائع، كتاب الصلاة، فصل في بيان من له ولاية الصلاة على الميت: 2/58؛ ديوبند)

[ii]

ويوضع في القبر على شقه الأيمن متوجها إلى القبلة

(المحيط البرهاني، كتاب الصلاة، الفصل الثاني الثلاثون: 3/90؛ إدارة)

[iii]

(فتاوى محمودية، كتاب الصلاة، باب فضاء الفوائت، فصل في فدية الفوائت: 7/388؛ فاروقية)

[iv]

(فتاوى رحيمية، كتاب الحج: 4/521-523؛ رشيدية)

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

________________________________________________________________________
Visit us at:
http://www.al-inaam.com                                                  [ Madrassah In’aamiyyah ]
http://www.askimam.org                                            [ Darul Ifta - Madrassah In`aamiyyah ]
http://groups.google.com/group/shariahcompliant     [Shariah Compliant Business Campaign]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shifaa                                [As-Shifaa Islamic Forum]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ulama_sa                                [Ulama-SA Islamic Forum]

DISCLAIMER - Askimam.org questions

The Askimam.org Site answers issues pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and can not be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. To ensure this Askimam.org will start to flag such questions. Previous questions on Askimam.org do not carry such cautionary message.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·          The Sharée ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·          The Darul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Darul Ifta being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·          This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Ifta.