Date: 19th May 2009

Someone came to the Prophet (SAW) and said the world has abandoned him

Question

Salam.

imam malik reported a narration from ibn umar:one person came to hte prophet saw and said that the world has abandon him.the prophet saw said to him that why did he forget the Salah of the angels and the tasbid of creations.it is because of it they are getting sustanance.recite this tasbid100 times at dawn.teh prophet saw said that the world would come to him with humiliation.teh man returned back.after some time he reappeared and said,i have enough wealth that i am not able to take care of it.my question is can you give me the tasbih in its arabic context.i am qutoing this from the book that has been trasnlated frm urdu.it is called in urdu(momin ka hathiyar)jazakallah khair.W/salam

Answer

We could not find any mention of the Hadith you have cited. We do not possess the book Mumin ka hatiyar. We have searched in the Arabic Salah al-Mumin which perhaps could be an Arabic version of the book you cited, but there is no sign of it there. Likewise, we did not find any sign of this narration in Muwatta Imam Malik.

Hereunder we have reproduced a narration which is similar to the one you have asked for. Imam Tabrani (May Allah Ta'ala have mercy on him) narrates in his Kitab ad-Du’a that Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم once seen a person with ragged clothes, in a shabby condition and sickly. Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم asked him, “Oh you, what has put you in this condition which I see?” The person replied, “It is poverty and sickness.” Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم told him, “Should I not teach you some words which if you recite your poverty and sicknesses will vanish.” The person replied, “I’ll love this more than I would love if I witnessed Badr and Uhud with you.”

Abu Hurairah (May Allah Ta'ala be pleased with him) says, “I said, “Oh Nabi of Allah, please teach me these words.” Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم responded, “Say the following dua,     

توكلت على الحي الذي لا يموت و الحمد لله الذي لم يتخذ ولدا و لم يكن له شريك في الملك و لم يكن له ولي من الذل و كبره تكبيرا

Abu Hurairah (May Allah Ta'ala be pleased with him) continues “He met Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم after a few days. Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم asked, ‘Oh Abu Hurairah, how did you attain this good condition I see you in?’ He replied, “Oh Nabi of Allah, I continued saying those words since the time you thought them to me.”

Hence you could opt to make the above dua.

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Ebrahim Desai,