Country: Hong Kong
Date: 16th May 2009

My question is regarding Surat Fatiha Recitation behind the imam. Please tell me from Quran and authentic Hadith of Prophet Mohammad (SAW) wether we should recite surat..

Question

My question is regarding Surat Fatiha Recitation behind the imam. Please tell me from Quran and authentic Hadith of Prophet Mohammad (SAW) wether we should recite surat

Answer

According to the Hanafi Madhab the Muqtadi will not recite Surah Fatiha behind the Imam. As followers of the Hanafi Madhab we believe that Imam Abu Hanifa (RahmatuAllah Alayh) derived the ruling based on Quran and Ahadith. Consider the following two references:

وَإِذَا قُرِىءَ الْقُرْآنُ فَاسْتَمِعُواْ لَهُ وَأَنصِتُواْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ .(الأعراف، 204)

So, when the Qur’an is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy. (Quran 7: 204)

It is also proved through the Hadith:

عن أبي هريرة عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال : إنما جعل الإمام ليؤتم به فلا تختلفوا عليه فإذا كبر فكبروا وإذا قرأ فأنصتوا...(سنن البيهقي، 2/157، أشرفيه)

The Prophet (SallAllahu Alayhi WaSallam) says: “For indeed the Imam is to be followed so do not oppose him, if he does Takbir so do as he does and if he recites (Qur’an) remain silent…” (Bayhaqi)

Therefore, when the Imam is reciting the Quran silently or loudly, you will not recite Surah Fatiha or anything else behind him.

(Fatawa Rahimiyah, 5/36-46, Isha’at)

فأما المقتدي فلا قراءة عليه عندنا.
(بدائع الصنائع، 1/294، ديوبند)

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Sajid bin Shabbir,