Date: 13th May 2009

I feel affection for a girl. I always try my best to keep my mind clear from this thought although it’s much difficult to control my self. I swear by ALLAH I haven’t...

Question

I feel affection for a girl. I always try my best to keep my mind clear from this thought although it’s much difficult to control my self. I swear by ALLAH I haven’t any bad intention. I wish to marry her and the reason for affection is “Her affection for Deen” as Alhamdulillah she having good affection for Deen and its attract me toward her. I feel if I marry her InsaALLAH she take me more close to ALLAH and help me to grow my Deen. So, my question is, Can I ask to ALLAH (make Dua’a) to grant her (specified girl) in my Nikah.

Answer

It was gratifying for us to hear that your inclination to marry a girl is due to her attachment with deen. It is strongly advised in Islam to marry a woman for deen. In fact, the Prophet (SallAllahu Alayhi WaSallam) mentions that:

عن أبي هريره رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال  : ( تنكح المرأة لأربع لمالها ولحسبها وجمالها ولدينها فاظفر بذات الدين تربت يداك ).

(صحيح البخاري، كتاب النكاح، باب الأكفاء في الدين: 6/149-150، الفكر)

The Prophet (SallAllahu Alayhi WaSallam) says: “A woman is married for four reasons: her wealth, her lineage, her beauty, and her religion. Achieve success through the one that is religious.”(Bukhari) 

This hadith shows that one should prefer a woman that adheres to the deen over any other trait of a woman. When making dua, rather than asking for the specific girl, one should make istikhara with the intention that if this girl is good for him, then may Allah Ta’ala destine her for him. And if some other girl is better for him, then may Allah Ta’ala destine the other girl for him. We make dua that Allah Ta’ala fills your decision with his mercy and blessings, ameen!

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Sajid bin Shabbir,