Answered Date: May 06,2009

Title: Who was Thuwaiba (Radhi Allahu Anha)?

Question

who was Hazrat thuwaiba ( R.A)  tell me exact commentary of the hadith mentioned in Sahi Bukhari book of nikah regarding the dream of one of the realative of abu lahab

Narrated 'Ursa; Thuwaiba was the freed slave girl of Abu Lahb whom he had manumitted, and then she suckled the Prophet. When Abu Lahb died, one of his relatives saw him in a dream in a very bad state and asked him, "What have you encountered?" Abu Lahb said, "I have not found any rest since I left you, except that I have been given water to drink in this (the space between his thumb and other fingers) and that is because of my manumitting Thuwaiba."

Most of the narrators said, that abu lahabs punishment is decreased on mondays and it was day when prophet (saw) was born. It is also said that the dreamer was hazrat Abass.  I did not find the word monday in the hadith please clarify.

Answer

Assalaamu `alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

قال عروة وثويبة مولاة لأبي لهب كان أبو لهب أعتقها فأرضعت النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم فلما مات أبو لهب أريه بعض أهله بشرحيبة قال له ماذا لقيت ؟ قال أبو لهب لم ألق بعدكم غير أني سقيت في هذه بعتاقتي ثويبة

(Hadith quoted in reference. Buhkari vol.6, p 152, Darul Fiqr) 

1.) Thuwaiba رضى الله عنها was the freed slave of Abu Lahab who had breastfed Rasulullah  صلى الله عليه و سلم.

There is a difference of opinion whether she accepted Islam. She was honored by Khadija  رضى الله عنها and Rasulullah صلى الله عليه و سلم; and had received gifts and clothing from him. She passed away in the 7th year A.H; her son, Masrooh, passed away before her. (Isaabah p60, vol.8, Ilmiyah)

أن العباس قال لما مات أبو لهب رأيته في منامي بعد حول في شر حال فقال ما لقيت بعدكم راحة الا أن العذاب يخفف عني كل يوم اثنين قال وذلك أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم ولد يوم الإثنين

(Fathul Bari p180, vol.9, Qadeemi Kutub Khana) 

2.) Abaas رضى الله عنه has said “When Abu Lahab passed away, I saw him in a dream after a year in a distressful state. He said “I have not been given comfort after my demise, except that the punishment is made light for me on Mondays; (he said) and that is because Nabi صلى الله عليه و سلم was born on Monday.”

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best 

Zakariyya bin Ahmed,