Country: Mauritius

1. I would like to know whether my husband's nephew is a mahram for me. 2. And can a woman make salat with a long skirt only without trousers. Jazak Allah

Question

1. I would like to know whether my husband's nephew is a mahram for me. 
2. And can a woman make salat with a long skirt only without trousers. Jazak Allah

Answer

1.      Your husband’s nephew is a Ghayr Mahram (with whom marriage is allowed). You should observe strict Hijaab.

2.      It will be permissible for a woman to perform her Salah in a long skirt only, if the Satr* is not exposed during the Salah. If a quarter of any part of the body that is supposed to be covered when offering Salah gets exposed  to the extend that she can read Sub’haanallah three times, then the Salah will not be valid.  [Behisti Zewar pg 127- Zamzaam Publishers]

*The Satr of a woman in Salah is the entire body from head to toe apart from the face, hands and feet.

The authoritative Book of Shari’ah, Badaaius Sanaa’i states that the purpose of Salah that it is Mustahab (preferable) to perform Salah in three garments: Izaar (trousers), Qamees (long shirt) and Ridaa (outer Shawl).

Mufti Shafi (Rahmatullahi ‘alayhi) elucidates in Ma’ariful Qur’aan :-

“Since, in Salah, the demand is not only covering of the satr, but the command is to adopt Zeenat (beauty) as well.  We have to be properly, decently and islamically clad as is clear from the term Zeenat which appears in the foregoing Quraanic verse:

“Oh Son’s of Adam, adopt your beauty at the time of every Salah.”[Surah 7-Verse 31]

During Salah, the servant stands in the special presence of his Creator Allah Ta’ala. He is, therefore required to adopt dignity reverence and respect. He cannot act with an indifferent attitude.  He is not allowed to be immodestly and improperly dressed when performing Salah.  When man visits a worldly king or has to be present in a court of law presided over by a non-Muslim judge or he/she has to attend a conference or any other meeting which he regards to be importance, he adorns him/herself; he/she dresses in the best garments to present a proper and decent image of him/herself.  But, some people having more respect for the worldly personalities have no regard for Allah Divine presence. 

In Ruhul Ma’aani it is mentioned: “When Hadhrat Hasan (Radhiyallaahu ‘anhu) engaged in Salah, he would don his best garments.  It was said to him “Oh (grand) Son of Rasulullah ( Sallalaahu ‘alayhi Wassallam): “Why do you don your best garments? (In Salah)” He replied “Verily Allah Ta’ala is beautiful and loves beauty. I, therefore adorn myself for my Rabb.  It is He who says (in the Qur’aan) “Adopt your beauty at the time of every Salah.”I therefore love to wear my most beautiful garments.”

May Allah guide all of us in the straight path and guide us to which pleases Him.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Wassalamu Alaykum

Ml. Mohammad Ashhad bin Said

Correspondence Iftaa Student, Mauritius