Country: United Arab Emirates

I would like to know if sadaqah will compensate any shortcomings in giving Zakath.

Question

Moreover, if a person forgets to give zakath for a particular year, does his sadaqah(for that year) be counted as zakath..
My question is .. just like sunnah salah compensates for any shortcomings in fardh salaah.. does sadaqah compensate for zakath..?

Answer

1.      Upon the expiry of the year, zakaat should be given immediately. If the paying of zakaat is delayed to such an extent that the second year also expires, the person will be a sinner but he can still repent for this sin and pay the zakaat immediately.

2.      At the time of giving zakaat, one must have the intention in his heart that he is giving this money as zakaat. If he merely gives it without making any intention, the zakaat will not be fulfilled. He will have to give zakaat again, but he will be rewarded separately for the money that he had already given.

[Bahishti Zewar V 1 PG 302 Zam Zam Publishers]

It is hoped in the hereafter that if there were any shortcomings in zakaat, sadaqah will fulfill those shortcomings. However sadaqah will not compensate for zakaat not fulfilled.

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Ebrahim Desai,