Country: Canada
Date: 23rd February 2009

For medical reasons, my doctor has asked me to shave my beard for treatment. Alhamdullah, I have never touched the hair on my face. So my question is, is it permissable?

Question

My beard is prominent under my chin and neck, and starting to form around my jaw. The hair on my jaw is thin compared to the hair on my chin. The problem with my beard according to my doctors is that as it grows I'll lose some of the hair, and it would form small holes around my beard.  This is the biggest health concern. He also mentioned, due to some of my acne as well. But the main thing is me losing my hair, and the circles it would form because of it.

Is it permissable to shave for this reason?

Answer

It is Waajib (compulsory) for a Muslim male to grow a beard till a fist length. It is prohibited (Makrooh – Tahrimi) to cut or shave the beard. He who does so is a Faasiq (sinner).This is the view of the majority of scholars.

Allaamah ibnul Humaam (RA) has mentioned that nobody has permitted the trimming of the beard lesser than a fist length.
 (Fathul Qadeer; Shaami; Fataawa Mahmoodiyyah vol.5 pgs.93, 105, 108)

According to our understanding of your beard, it does not grow straight and curls up creating holes within the beard. If our understanding is correct, then that is no reason in Shariah for you to cut or shave your beard. You should search for other means to straighten your beard.

يحرم على الرجل قطع لحيته
(رد المحتار ،سعيد، ص407،ج6)

حدثنا نافع عن ابن عمر قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم خالفوا المشركين أحفوا الشوارب وأوفوا اللحى.

(صحيح مسلم ،دار المعرفه،بيروت، ص142،ج3،ح599)

(فتاوى محموديه،جامعه فاروقيه ، ص،409،418،ج19)

(فتاوى رحيميه،دار الإشاعت ، ص،105،111،ج10)

Wassalam u Alaikum

Ml. Luqman Hansrot,

Important Posts and Links

Shar'ii stance on Shares and Stocks|Have you prepared your WILL??|Moonsighting - Its that time to sight the moon