Date: 22nd February 2009

My child was born out of wedlock. What is the punishment for me on Qiyamat?

Question

Some time ago i made zina and a a child was born out of  wedlock,  i made sincere thauba and regreted my mistake. my child is now 4 and is staying with me.what is going to happen to us on the day of qitaamat? i was told she wont recognise me? will the child be made accountable is any  way?

Answer

It is very encouraging to hear that you have made sincere tauba and you regret the great mistake you have made and Remember Allah is most forgiving. You should also give charity and do voluntary acts which will invoke the mercy of Allah and your sins being forgiven.

There are two aspects to your query:

1)  The biological aspect of the child.

2)  The lineage of the child.

Undoubtedly you are the biological father of the child. However, since the child was born out of wedlock, the lineage of the child will not be attributed to you but to the mother. This in no way means that you cannot take care of the well being of the child.

The child should be given good Islamic education so that she can live a life with Islamic values and principles.