Country: China
Date: 22nd February 2009

I offer my prayers at appartment loney. Should I say azan before offering prayer? Also can i offer the prayer in congression with my wife only if it is yes then please describe me the methof to offer prayer in congression with my wife.

Question

i study in China. I dont have the opprtunity to offer the prayer in congression (BAJAMAT). I offer my prayers at appartment loney. Should I say azan before offering prayer? Also can i offer the prayer in congression with my wife only if it is yes then please describe me the methof to offer prayer in congression with my wife.

Answer

Alhamdulilah we are very pleased to see your great concern and enthusiasm in learning Deen. We make Dua to Allah Ta’ala that He accepts you for the service of his Deen and use you as a guiding star for others in your country.

There is a large Muslim population in China but due to circumstances, they are deprived of true knowledge of Deen. We advise you to give dawat to fellow Muslim brothers who stay around you. It would be a great service if you could meet them and give them words of encouragement and together with that arrange a special place for the five daily Salaah. Inshallah this would be a means of salvation for you in the hereafter. Aameen.

It is advisable for your wife to perform her Salaah by herself. However, if she wishes to follow you in Salaah, she may do so on condition that you make Niyyah (intention) for being her Imaam.
Your wife should not stand next to you or slightly behind you, but rather she should stand directly behind you.
You should also call out the Adhaan and Iqaamat.

(Bahisti Zewar Vol 1, Pg165, Zam Zam publishers)

(Ahsanul Fataawa Vol 2, Pg280, H.M Saeed)

ونية الرجل الإمامة شرط لصحة اقتداء النساء به
(نور الإيضاح ونجاة الأرواح،قديمى، ص76)

( كما تكره إمامة الرجل لهن في بيت ليس معهن رجل غيره ولا محرم منه ) كأخته ( أو زوجته أو أمته أما إذا كان معهن واحد ممن ذكر أو أمهن في المسجد لا ) يكره

(الدر المختار ،سعيد، ص566،ج1)

Wassalam u Alaikum

Ml. Luqman Hansrot,