Date: 12th September 2008

If I bought a flat as an investment with the hope that I could sell it some time in the future

Question

If I bought a flat as an investment with the hope that I could sell it some time in the future and use it to fund my children’s university studies or even their marriage do I have to include the value of the flat in my zakah calculaton? If so do I include the cost I bought it for or the current market value? If you could assist I would appreciate

Answer

Zakāt will only be obligatory upon the flat if the purpose of your purchase was to re-sell the flat.

Zakāt will be obligatory upon the current value of the flat.

Ml. Ehzaz Ajmeri,

Concurred by:

Ml. Yusuf bin Yaqub,