Country: Italy
Date: 22nd August 2008

With Reference to your Fatwa # 16628...If I want to send some money to my parents but my wife is not in favor. Can I send money without informing my wife?

Question

With Reference to your Fatwa #  16628

I discussed with my wife that why she is not in favor of this. She replied currently we are not financially strong to give my parents some thing. She replied me that we have a daughter. But my point is that I am not giving all money to my parents. Very little just for my internal satisfication because no one knows about life. So she is not giving me permission to give money to my parents.

(I am currently living in Italy with my wife and one daughter. I am working and earning a handsome amount. With the help of Allah I am full filling all rights of my wife and daughter. I always help my wife in all aspects i,e house cleaning, dish washing, taking care of baby etc. And my behavior is very good with wife. My Parents are in Pakistan.)

I want to ask you following question:

1- If I want to send some money to my parents but my wife is not in favor. Can I send money without informing my wife? Is this not permissible according to Hadith and Islam?

Guide me to some material about Haqooq of wife and parents.

Answer

It is perfectly permissible for you to send money to your parents in Pakistan without the consent of your wife and even without informing her. Alhamdulillah, you are fulfilling the rights of your wife and daughter, you also need the duas of your parents. Your income belongs to you and you are at liberty to give your surplus money after fulfilling your basic obligations of Shariah to whoever you wish to. Your wife does not have the right to object or to even know.