Date: 18th August 2008

I am a married muslim female. I am a health professional and have just opened up a private practice. What are the islamic laws concerning working on male patients.

Question

I am a married muslim female. I am a health professional and have just opened up a private practice. What are the islamic laws concerning working on male patients. My work involves touch therapy, only the affected area is exposed during therapy. I will only deal with female patients if it is wrong to work on males. Please advise soon. Thank You Salaam

Answer

In principle, a doctor may treat a patient of the opposite gender and confine the focus only on the affected area. However, in these times of fitna and immoralities, it is discouraged for a doctor to attend to a patient of the opposite gender especially if the patient can be treated by a doctor of the same gender. That will safeguard you from the fitna and evil intentions of men especially in view of the touch therapy service you provide.