Country: Canada
Date: 5th August 2008

I have about $10,000 worth of net debt. Can my father give me some of his interest money.

Question

Answer

To be involved in an interest transaction of any kind is strictly prohibited in Shari’a. Consider the following narration:

عن جابر قال لعن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم آكل الربا وموكله وكاتبه وشاهديه وقال هم سواء

(صحيح مسلم)

Jabir (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallalahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) cursed the one devours interest, the one who facilitates it, the one who witnesses it and the one who records it.  He said they are all equal. (Sahih Muslim)

It is compulsory upon a person to abstain from all forms of interest. A Muslim must have an aversion to interest money and refrain from it to the best of his ability. To deliberately involve one’s self in an interest transaction is a major sin for which a person has to repent sincerely to Almighty Allah. If per chance interest money comes into the possession of a person, then he must dispose of it as soon as possible to the poor without the intention of receiving any reward.

As you have stated, you are in debt and are looking for assistance. The laws of Shari’a are that if a person does not possess any assets and is involved in a debt, then it will be permissible for him to accept monetary Islamic charities e.g., zakat, sadaqa. If a person who desires to dispose of his interest money gives you the amount, it will be permissible for you to accept it, even if that person be your father. The ruling for the disposition of interest money is not the same as the ruling of zakat.

Nevertheless, if the father had intentionally accumulated interest, then he will be sinful.

سئلت: فيمن يملك نصابا من حرام هل تجب عليه فيه الزكاة؟ الجواب: لا تجب عليه فيه الزكاة بل يلزمه التصدق بجميعه على الفقراء لا بنية الثواب أن لم يكن صاحب المال موجودا (الفتاوى الكاملية ص 15 مكتبة القدس)

Ml. Ehzaz Ajmeri,