Date: 25th July 2008

I live with my non Muslim mum and she has a puppy in the house. I cant remember the Qunut for Salaah

Question

Any advice would be appreciated. I embraced Islam -7yrs ago, I still live at home with my mom and sister whom are Christian, alhumdulila both of them are very supportive.my mom owns a puppy who sleeps in the house, is this fine as long as i keep my room door close?also i want to keep Thikr at my house, but were told by many that i cant because of the dog and that my family are Christian and there's a wall to wall mat of the Last Supper in the living room.i really want to keep thikr at my house, so any help in this matter would be appreciated.

i still struggle to remember the Qunoot of Fajr Solaah and always read it of a piece of paper, is this acceptable and if i omit this does it nullify my solaah?

Answer

Considering your circumstances, you will be excused for the puppy being in the house. You should ensure that the puppy does not enter your room and defiles it as it could have serious implications on the validity of your Salah.

In regards to wanting to host a Majlis of Dhikr at your house, it is a praiseworthy and noble intention. Insha-Allah, you will be rewarded for your good intentions. If you wish to host the Majlis, we recommend covering the pictures on the walls with a sheet etc and putting the puppy outside of the house with the consent of your mother. If your friends feel comfortable with this, they wouldn’t mind hosting the Majlis at your house. The spiritual effulgence and radiance through the Dhikr might have a good effect on the other members of your family attracting them towards the beautiful religion of Islam.

In regards to omitting the Qunūt of Fajr, we recommend that you ask the learned ‘Ulamā of the Shaf‘ī Maddhab. According to the Hanafī Madhhab, there is no Qunūt in Fajr Salah.

Ml. Yusuf bin Yaqub,