Date: 10th July 2008

Does the concept of respecting the parent applies even if the parent(s) torture the children?

Question

Concerning your answer to this poor woman's delima (Fatwa #  16720  from   ). You said to her it is fardh for her to respect her mother even if her mother is acting badly, does this same concept applies if the mother or father is physically abusive to the child? Does the concept of respecting the parent applies even if the parent(s) locks the child in a dark room and torture the child in any way or form. I am not saying this happened to me, Al-hamdolilAllah, I have an awesome mother..however..I am asking in case a scenario like this happens...does this concept applies there as well?

Answer

It is the responsibility of the parents to discipline their children. It is not permissible for them to torture and abuse their children. However if the parents fail to treat their children with care, this will by no means give the child any right to show the slightest disrespect towards them. Instead the child should be patient and maintain respect but at the same time avoid being physically abused and tortured, because respect does not entail being tortured and abused.

Zakariyya Madatt,