Answered Date: Jun 18,2008

Title: I heard a group of people talking a while ago about knitting, or something similar - textile related. They were saying that it was sunna of one of the prophets -as-. Is this true?

Question

I heard a group of people talking a while ago about knitting, or something similar - textile related. They were saying that it was sunna of one of the prophets -as-. Is this true? if so, can you give one or two references to quran and sunna, so I can read for myself. jazakalllah hayr. will be very much appreciated.

Answer

Hadrat Idrees Alaihi Sallam was the first person to weave clothing.

أول من خاط الثياب : إدريس عليه السلام

(الوسائل إلى معرفة الأوائل,دار المكتبة الحياة,ص85)

أول من خاط الثياب ولبسها : إدريس

(الأوائل,دار الكتب العلمية,ص305)

Hadrat Hisham bin Urwah mentions that a person asked Hadrat Aisha Radiyallahu Anha what were the actions of Nabi Sallalahu Alaihi Wassallam in his house. She said he would sew or mend his clothing and repair his shoes…

هشام بن عروة عن رجل قال سألت عائشة ما كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يصنع في بيته قالت كان يرقع الثوب ويخصف النعل أو نحو هذا

(مسند الإمام أحمد بن حنبل,دار الحديث,ص121,ج18, 25926)

We understand from the above that sewing or mending clothes will fall under the Sunnah of the Ambiyaa Alaihi Salaam.

Ml. Luqman Hansrot,