Country: United Arab Emirates
Date: 12th May 2008

The mere signing of the marriage certificate does not constitute a valid Nikah

Question

Hazrat I got engaged in July 2007 when I was in Pakistan than I move to Abu Dhabi UAE for my job, Here to get an accomodation I need to submitt the marriage certificate otherwise I wouldn't be able to apply for an appartment I discussed the issue with my family and in-laws but my in-laws were not agree to have Nikah so urgently but what they agree was that they will provide me the marriage certificate signed by the bride and her vakeel and the witnesses but the other formalities of nikah were not [erformed like publicaly it was not anounce niether any one reciet the khutba-e-nikah and from my side I and two witnesses of marriage signed the nikah nama now my question is Is this a valid nikah? As I've asked the Imam sahab of my masjid who register the nikah nama he said that this is also a form of nikah as the girl and her witnesses signed the nikah nama personnaly.

Answer

The mere signing of the marriage certificate does not constitute a valid Nikah.