Date: 7th May 2008

I feel Soft hearted everytime i pray is this a good sign?

Question

everytime i pray i notice i get very emotional and sensitive and i feel like crying a lot and when i dont pray i feel tough and different.......i wanted to know why this might be because i see a change in  myself in both situations .........could it be something bad or good?

Answer

Masha Allah, having such feelings is a good sign. It is a sign of rekindling your spirituality and connection with Allah Ta'ala. It is through prayer that we remain connected to our Creator. By constantly turning to Allah, we are reminded that we are always in need of Him and not independent from Him. In this manner we will achieve peace and comfort.

Allah Ta'ala mentions in the Holy Quran,

"…verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find contentment."

Salah is one of the greatest means of the remembrance of Allah Ta'ala. Thus, Salah increases one in tranquillity. The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alaiyhi Wasallam)  confirmed this and he used to say to Bilal (RA), the first muazzin, "O Bilal! Give the Azan. Give us comfort by it!" (Ahmad & Abu Dawood) He also used to say, "Prayer was made the coolness of my eyes." (Ahmad, An-Nasa'i & others).

In an age where many people suffer from mental and emotional turmoil searching for peace of mind, happiness and contentment, the prescription is to repent from our negligence and establish our connection with Allah Ta'ala through Salah, Tilawat, Zikr and other forms of worship which will strengthen our bond with our Creator and Cherisher.

Allah Ta'ala says in Surah Al Baqarah  Verse 152:

“Remember Me always, and I will remember you;”

You should ensure consistency in your Salah and other acts of worship. In this manner, insha-Allah, you will maintain stability and reach a state of spiritual and emotional equilibrium.