Date: 23rd April 2008

Is it necessary or mandatory that both bride and groom should meet in person (for the purpose of marriage, accompanied by parents)?

Question

I am in US and had looked a photograph of a pious girl (in purpose of marriage) who is in India now. Alhamdulillah I her (by looking her photograph) and my parents are also OK when they saw her in person at her home.

From girl's side, she and her family have accepted me to be her husband (only by looking my photograph).

I know that, it is permissible in Islam to meet a girl in purpose of marriage. But due to some constraint, I could not able to make my trip to India in near future. My questions are,

• "Is it necessary or mandatory that both bride and groom should meet in person (for the purpose of marriage, accompanied by parents)?".
  • "Is it permissible (in Islam) to marry  their fiance' without meeting / seeing each other, before marriage?"

Kindly clarify my doubts with authentic 'Quranic Verses' or 'Hadith's book number' if any. May Allah reward you for your purposeful services.

Answer

It is not mandatory for potential spouses to see each other before marriage. It is however encouraged. Marriage is a life long relationship and one should be happy and content with the outer appearance of the spouse. If one did not see each other, there is a possibility that one may not like the appearance of the spouse.