Can a Husband Fantasize about his wife while he is away?

Question

I got married 2 months back and for 45 days I was with my wife, as I work abroad I have to leave her but now the problem is I constantly fantasize about her. My question is fanaticizing about wife is permitted in Islam or not, please try to answer this question as I don’t want to commit sin and invite the wrath of Allah SWT .

Answer

Since you are newly married it is only natural to continuously think of your wife. If these thoughts do not raise your sexual passions they will be permissible and in fact encouraged. This will also be conducive to maintaining matrimonial love. However, if these thoughts of intimacy stimulate your sexual desires, then if they are unintended you will be excused.    On the contrary, if these thoughts which lead towards sexual arousal are deliberate, they would have to be eschewed. This is in order to save yourself from engaging in any haram activities (masturbation etc) in the absence of your spouse.

For the future it would be ideal if you can make arrangements for your wife to live with you. In this way, insha Allah, you will be saved from many challenges which are prevalent in our modern day societies. If this is not possible you could resort to fasting which has been described in a hadith as a shield from sexual provocation.

صحيح البخاري - (ج 5 / ص 1950)

حدثنا عمر بن حفص بن غياث حدثنا أبي حدثنا الأعشى قال حدثني عمارة عن عبد الرحمن بن يزيد قال  : دخلت مع علقمة الأسود على عبد الله فقال عبد الله كنا مع النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم شبابا لا نجد فقال لنا رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم ( يا معشر الشباب من استطاع الباءة فليتزوج فإنه أغض للبصر وأحصن للفرج ومن لم يستطع فعليه بالصوم فإنه له وجاء )  

Ml. Ismail Moosa,