I am a male muslim getting ready to move to a new city for school. I am looking to find a place with a friend of mine (who is also a male). We have found many places, but the only ones that we can afford require us to live with others....

Question

I have a question regarding living with others.  I am a male muslim getting ready to move to a new city for school.  I am looking to find a place with a friend of mine (who is also a male).  We have found many places, but the only ones that we can afford require us to live with others.  We have found a 4 bedroom house with two people already living there.  The only issue that I see is that the other two people living at the house are females.  Me and my roommate would be living on a different floor from the females.  We would have our own living room, bathroom, and bedrooms.  We would however be sharing a common entrance to the house as well as a kitchen.  I know it is not permissible to live with someone of the opposite sex, but could there be an exception to this living arrangement because the only time I would see them is when I am going to be making/eating food.  Thank you for the help.

Answer

The strong possibility of fitna still exists as your’ll will be living in the same house sharing a common entrance and the kitchen. Sleeping on a different floor with a separate bathroom does not negate the strong possibility of fitna in staying in the same house. It is therefore not permissible to share the house with other females.