Is it allowed for both of them to meet for the purpose of marriage with a responsible person accompanying them from both sides. And also can the girl reveal her face to my brother?

Question

We have seen a really nice pious girl for my elder brother. My question is that my brother would like to meet her before actually getting married and to see whether she is the right one for him and that she the kind of girl he wants. Is it allowed for both of them to meet for the purpose of marriage with a responsible person accompanying them from both sides. And also can the girl reveal her face to my brother?

Answer

1) In principal it is permissible to look at the face of girls for purposes of marriage. (1)

2) Mughira Bin Shuba (Radiallahu Anhu) relates; “I had proposed a girl for marriage when Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said to me, look at her, for this is a cause of continuous love among you”. (2)

(1) (Rad Al Mukhtar, Vol.6. Pg.370. H.M Saeed)

(2) (Tirmizi. Vol.1. Pg.270. H.M Saeed)

Ml. Safraz Mohammed,