A friend of the family purchased a lotto ticket and put my mums details in it while they were on holiday now 2 months later we have received a letter saying that my mum has won some money now...

Question

A friend of the family purchased a lotto ticket and put my mums details in it  while they were on holiday now 2 months later we have received a letter saying that my mum has won some money now i know that lotto is haraam however my mum didnt purchase the ticket therefore she didnt gamble so what is the ruling on this also is it possible to use the money to pay of mortagages and debts which my family have and are paying huge amounts of interest on . i await your response thankyou

Answer

It is haram to purchase a lotto ticket. If one wins a lotto, the money is also haram. It is not permissible to use that in any way.