Title: I have recently been sent an email with a link to a newspaper which indicates that many Walkers crisps have traces of alcohol

Question

I have recently been sent an email with a link to a newspaper which indicates that many Walkers crisps have traces of alcohol but these are not mentioned in the ingredient. I read/heard that because it is used as a carrier these are OK (Halal) to eat?

I have copied the link to the article for your observations and would be grateful if you could clarify this matter for many Muslims who are concerned about alcohol used in not just crisps but also many other food products but are not listed as being used,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article3412749.ece 

Answer

If the alcohol in the crisps is from grapes of dates extract, then it is not permissible.

If the alcohol is from other extracts besides grapes and dates or if the alcohol is synthetic, then it is permissible to consume such crisps as the quantity of alcohol in it is negligent and does not intoxicate.