Asked Country: Kuwait

Title: I want to ask the folic acid given to pregnant ladies, is that halal. in Addition to this any food product having folic acid in its nutrition is that halal. I have read in one halalguide that folic acid in vitamin supplements or other vitamin fortified food may not use the vegetable source all the time.

Question

I want to ask the folic acid given to pregnant ladies, is that halal. in Addition to this any food product having folic acid in its nutrition is that halal. I have read in one halalguide that folic acid in vitamin supplements or other vitamin fortified food may not use the vegetable source all the time.

Answer

Folic acid could be derived from animal as well as fungal, vegetable and plant sources. Therefore, you would have to determine the exact source of it in order to realise the permissibility of the folic acid.

Ml. Ismail Moosa,