Country: Saudi Arabia

I am working with a company in Middle East which is under construction. Currently all the payments including our salaries are made through Banking loans (interest based).

Question

I am working with a company in Middle East which is under construction. Currently all the payments including our salaries are made through Banking loans (interest based). I am working in Finance Department and not 100% involved in managing the loan activities but a part of the team. Is this job is haram or halal for me? And also for employees working in other departments i.e. engineering etc.

Answer

Allah Ta'ala states in the Holy Quraan:

وتعاونوا على البر والتقوى ، ولا تعاونوا على الإثم والعدوان

Assist each other in good and do not assist each other in sin and enmity (Ma'ida 2) 

Your employment is in the financial department of the company which deals in interest. Although you are not 100% involved in the interest bearing loans, the fact that you are part of the team, you are assisting in haram. Therefore it would not be permissible for you to take up such a job. As an alternative you could work in such a department which is not involved in any impermissible transactions or seek an alternate employment. If that is not possible and you have no source of income and you have to support yourself and your dependents, you will be excused for continuing your present employment. In the meanwhile, search for an alternate employment and also make istighfar.

As for the other employee's working in other departments, it would be permissible for them to work in such a company. However, due to the fact that the salaries are been paid with interest bearing loans their income would be contaminated. 

Ml. Ishaq E. Moosa,