Date: 24th October 2007

My husband has a drinking bar and womens entertainment area

Question

Salam Alakam my husband has bought a drinking bar also has women entertainment there.  I am very against it but he sees nothing wrong with it because he states he making very good money i find it very hard to live with this but talking about it means fighting and then he talks about divorce.  then i am not living wiht halal money either.  my question is which is worse divorce or living with this?  i can put up with it my happiness is not really my concern because no matter what decision is made i am not happy.  my problem is i don't know in eyes of Allah what is the right thing to do.  i know he is not going to sale is really happy he enjoys it a lot he even stated if i talk about it anymore he will move away. What should i do?

Answer

We make dua that Allah grant you courage and guide you to His pleasure, Ameen.

You have two options. You could remain in the Nikah and be patient. Do not discuss the issue of your husband’s income with him as that may lead to a divorce. Nahi Anil Munkar (condemning a wrong) is an obligation within ones ability. You will be excused if it is beyond your ability to change your husband and if that is going to cost you your marriage. This option is based on principle of Ahwanul Baliyyatain (Practicing on the lesser of two evils).

The second option is to separate from your husband as he is engaged in haram. You weigh the negatives out of the marriage and the negatives within it and decide on that. You know your circumstances better and you will be in the best position to measure that. If you are in a doubtful situation, make istikhara and seek Allah’s guidance. Also continue making dua to Allah to guide you to make the correct decision.