Date: 9th October 2007

Is cigarette selling is permissible in Islam?...Is it ok to give interest money to him to pay his interest....If somebody mensturbate while fasting, is the fast valid?

Question

1) Is cigarette selling is permissible in Islam? I asked one of the mufti in India he said it is permissible, but I came across one of your fatawa says that it is not permissible. I am confused.

2) One of my friend has taken loan from bank and paying interest. I am getting interest from my bank, I dont use it. Is it ok to give interest money to him to pay his interest.

3) If somebody mensturbate while fasting, is the fast valid? If not what is the kaffara?

Answer

1.This issue was discussed by the Board of Mufti`s-South Africa. The majority view was that it is not permissible to sell cigarettes.
2. Interest should be returned to the one from whom one had received it. If this is not possible, it should be distributed amongst the poor and needy.
3. If ejaculation took place with masturbation, the fast will be invalidated. One qadha fast will be kept after Ramadaan

Mufti Imran Hatia