Date: 3rd October 2007

Credit card payments

Question

I have a question about credit cards paymenyt i would like to know that if i have bought something on credit card and i pay monthly instalments on it on which the bank charges intrest on it so kindly tell me that since i am paying intrest to the bank so is it haram to do that and if it is kindly guide me so i can be on the correct path

Answer

According to Shariah it is permissible to make use of a credit card if you pay the monthly bills timeously. It is not permissible to purchase on the budget facility as the bank will charge interest on the amount. Whoever engages in interest has waged war with Allah and His Rasul صلى الله عليه وسلم . Can  a person ever be victoriuos if  Allah and His Rasul صلى الله عليه وسلم are his enemy?

Therefore you may use the straight credit facility of the card and abstain from purchasing on the budget facility.