Country: Canada
Date: 2nd October 2007

I am worried about him as i know he will be my husband one day

Question

as salaam walaikum i am worried about a brother naturally because he insh'allah one day will be my husband and second he seems to have gone astray... i have no dea how to bring him back on to the right path, the path of the pious... and i fear if he continues along the path that he's on it will be impossible for us to get married, because i wish to have and islamic household and a deen filled marriage and there was a time where that was all he wanted for our future as well ... I know that he still has love for the deen, because even when we talk he still tries to teach me differnet things on islam... u know of any way in which we can help him see the light once again? 

Answer

According to Shariah, it is Haraam (prohibited) for you to have any relation with this man as he is a stranger. Your concern for his guidance is understood however this concern should dominate you in such a manner whereby you violate the Laws of Shariah. Your concern for his guidance is motivated by your desire to marry him. If you are concerned for people's guidance then why not worry about the million men and women who are astray? This is the deception of Shaytaan. He intends to lead you astray in the name of guidance and Imaan. You should not pay any heed to this concern as you would be indulging in Haraam and committing a sin.

Furthermore, if you have inclination to marry him then propose to him in manner which is acceptable in Shariah and perform nikah. You state that he is gone far from Deen, then did you really consider your future with such a person. Will he take you closer to Allah or take you away from Allah? Did you consider your the implications of your Deen if you marry this person? If you have children from him what would be their future with him?  

Therefore, look for a suitable partner who is Allah fearing and conscious of Deen and perform the Nikah as soon as possible.