Date: 29th August 2007

If God is great why do we go through so much pain?

Question

I am a grade 10 student in thr\e roshnee islamic school, and we are studing the book "cry, our beloved country". While studing this we came across a statement whhich says " IF GOD IS GOOD, THEN WHY DO WE GO THROUGH SO MUCH OF PAIN?"  mufti can you please comment on this statemen and give me the islamic veiw of it...

Answer

It is our aqida and fundamental belief that Allah is Subhaan. He is pure and free from any blemish. No weakness or shortcoming can be attributed to the being of Allah. To attribute any shortcoming or blemish to the being of Allah is kufr. The statement in reference questions the pure being of Allah. That is also kufr.

There are many reasons for our pain in this world:

1.         We are sent to this world to be tested by Allah. For that, we have to be faced with many adversities. Allah says, “Do people think We will leave them proclaiming ‘I believe’ and they are not tested?”

2.         Our pains are also due to our wrongs and evil doings. Allah says, “Whatever adversity you are afflicted with, it is through the earnings of your hands.”

It is clear from the above that Allah is perfect and experiences of pain are either by Divine design or consequences of an individual’s actions.  

You should refer this issue to the principal of your school and request him to address the issue.