Date: 29th August 2007

The emergence of Isa (Alayhi Salaam)

Question

Could you please certify the authenticity of this hadith?

1) Hadith on the authority of Abu Hurayra: I heard the Prophet say: "By the one in Whose hand is Abu al-Qasim's soul, `Isa ibn Maryam shall descend as a just and wise ruler. He shall destroy the cross, slay the swine, eradicate discord and grudges, and money shall be offered to him but he will not accept it. Then he shall stand at my grave side and say: Ya Muhammad! and I will answer him." Abu Ya`la relates it with a sound (sahih) chain in his Musnad (Dar al-Ma'mun ed. 1407/1987) 11:462; Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalani cites it in al-Matalib al-`aliya (Kuwait, 1393/1973) 4:23, chapter entitled: "Concerning the Prophet's life in his grave" and #4574. Haythami says in Majma` al-zawa'id (8:5), Chapter entitled: "`Isa ibn Maryam's Descent": "Its sub-narrators are the men of sound (sahih) hadith."

2) Is there a sahi hadith in Musnad of Imam Hanbal( rh) or any other book which says that Isa Bin Maryam ( alaihis salaam) will be buried next to the grave of prophet Mohammed ( sal lallahu allaihi wa sallam)? 3) Is there any hadith in which prophet said that a prophet is buried at the place where he dies? If yes , then will Isa Bin Maryam ( alaihis salaam) die near the grave of prophet? Or the hadith in (2) mentions only to those prophet who come with book? I would be really thankful to you if you can please provide the clarification on the above issues.

Jazakallah khair

Answer

1. Yes, the above hadith has been confirmed and mentioned in Mustadrak lil Hakim as well.
2. This hadith had been mentioned in Mirqaatul Mafateeh on pg 67, volume 11, Maktaba Imdaadiyah print. Similarly, the hadith concerning a prophet being buried at place of his death is mentioned in Shamaail Muhammadiyyah, pg 665, hadith 396.
3. Hazrat Eesaa (AS)’s reappearance in this world will not be as a Nabi but rather as an Ummati of Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه و سلّم).

Ml. Haroon Dhooma,