Country: New Zealand
Date: 26th August 2007

Can i take an interest loan to purchase a house?

Question

I live in New Zealand.The Tax rate is high and the retirement income is very low.So citizens ensure their future by buying houses.And of course they get laons from the bank. But us Muslims we are not allowed the REBA. Some of us can hide money from the tax , but I knew that is haram as we have to respect the laws of the country and that it will give bad example of muslims if they found out. I am realy confused and would like a proper answer for that. Specialy that I am doing a hard job for a litle money. other people say that we should get laons because the amount of the rent is very high so it is better that you own the house at the end.Jazakoom Allah Kiran .

Answer

Cheating and speaking lies etc is not a way of Muslims. It is human nature to be attracted to good character and conduct. Riba is expressly prohibited (haram). It is not permissible for a Muslim to take an interest loan to purchase a house to secure ones future. It is possible to rent a house if one cannot afford it.