Title: Please could you give me some information on Eid-Ul-Fitr and the duration of this special event?

Question

First i would like to thank you for this opportunity. I work for a large Organisation and we complement about 60% of the Muslim Religion at our Cape town Branch, and  and i am aware that Eid-Ul-Fitr is starting soon and us as a company cannot allow all these staff members to be absent? Please could you give me some information on Eid-Ul-Fitr and the duration of this special event? as  I'd like to assist my Staff Members. In this regard.

Answer

Eidul Fitr is the day of celebration when Ramadan ends. Ramadan is the 7th month of the lunar calendar. Fasting is compulsory in this month for every adult Muslim. The fasting time is from the break of dawn till sunset. This year, Ramadan is expected to commence on the 13th or 14th of September. Accordingly, Eidul Fitr may be on the 12th or 13th of October. This depends on the sighting of the crescent. The entire day is a joyous day as we celebrate the achievement of attaining piety and closeness to Allah during Ramadan. The main event on Eidul Fitr is the prayer time on the morning of Eidul Fitr. That is about 8am and generally lasts for about two hours. That includes the prayer and meeting friends and relatives after the prayer.

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah