Date: 7th August 2007

Someone once told me that there is a hadith which states that if one is feeling down or a little depressed he/she should eat utrujj. I woould just like to know if this is true and if so, please could you tell me which fruit is utrujj.

Question

Someone once told me that there is a hadith which states that if one is feeling down or a little depressed he/she should eat utrujj.  I woould just like to know if this is true and if so, please could you tell me which fruit is utrujj.

Answer

Utrujj in English is citron.  Citron is a type of a citrus fruit.  We could not find in our research where Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam) explicitly mentioned the eating of a citron is helps ease depression.  However, Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim both narrate in their Sahih the following narration:

عن أبى موسى الأشعرى قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم مثل المؤمن الذى يقرأ القرآن مثل الأترجة ريحها طيب وطعمها طيب ومثل المؤمن الذى لا يقرأ القرآن مثل التمرة لا ريح لها وطعمها حلو ومثل المنافق الذى يقرأ القرآن مثل الريحانة ريحها طيب وطعمها مر ومثل المنافق الذى لا يقرأ القرآن كمثل الحنظلة ليس لها ريح وطعمها مر (متفق عليه)

Abu Musa (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, “The example of a believer who recites the Qur’an is like that of a citron.  It has a pleasant smell and a sweet taste.  The example of a believer who does not recite the Qur’an is like that of a date.  It has no smell, though its taste is sweet.  The example of a hypocrite who recites the Qur’an is that of a sweet smelling flower.  It has fragrance but has a bitter taste.  The example of a hypocrite who does not read the Qur’an is like a wild gourd.  It has a bitter taste and no smell. (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim)

The commentators of Hadith have explained the qualities of a citron. The citron is considered to be the finest fruit according to the Arabs.  It has as many great qualities and benefits.  From amongst them are it being big in size and pleasant in sight.  It is sweet in taste and soft to the touch.  Its color is attractive to the eyes.  It’s pleasing before the eating it, and beneficial afterwards; by its taste, sweet smell, and being helpful to the digestive system.

In another narration it is mentioned:

عن أبي كبشة الأنماري قال كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم يعجبه النظر إلى الأترج وكان يعجبه النظر إلى الحمام الأحمر (المعجم الكبير للطبرانى)

Abu Kabasha al-Anmari said, “Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam) enjoyed looking at a citron and red pigeons (al-Mu’jam al-Kabir lil al-Tabrani)

For this reason, it can be seen that why citron is helpful for depression or when one feels a little down.

Fath al-Bari Sharh al-Bukhari

Tawfah al-Ahwazi

For more info on Citron, one may look at the following websites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citron

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/citron.html

Ml. Ehzaz Ajmeri,