Date: 19th July 2007

She wants to send her child to a Christian School

Question

A friend of mine wants to send her child to a Christian school of good reputation, I have tried making her understand that it will destroy the child’s imaan but her argument is that the school has got a good education system which compared to other system is much better.

Answer

There are two issues relating to this query

• Education
  • Christian philosophy

We are Muslims and believe in Allah. He is our Master and we are His slaves. Allah has sent us into this world to recognize Him and obey Him. Rasulullah () was sent as a practical guide to take mankind from the darkness of ignorance and usher them into the brightness of Islam and Deen. We have to constantly remember this purpose of our coming unto this earth and refocus our thoughts and actions.

The importance of knowledge can never be over emphasized. Every parent has a desire to educate his/her child with the best education available at ones disposal. The object for the parents wanting their child to study is, the child will prosper in life and achieve high goals and fulfill great hopes, ambitions and aspirations in the hearts of parents. However, the secular education may take care of the well being of the child in this world. What happens about the well being of the Hereafter? We believe in death, life after death and accountability in the Court of Allah and we have to face Allah for our actions. Foolish is that parent whose concern is the temporary well being of their child while losing sight and the wellbeing of the child’s hereafter. Parents should be more concerned regarding the Akirah of the child. The enjoyment and success of this world is temporary. Its fame and achievements are also temporary. The innovation and advancement of this world is false and deception. Allah states "the world is nothing but mere deception". Today's inventions and theories are tomorrows joke. We as Muslims should not become attracted to the high degrees and titles of the world. Fortunate indeed is that person who is blessed with the degree and certificate of entrance into Jannah-paradise.

Secondly, apart from the education that is imparted at the school, the school has a value system that is passed on to the students. They have their own philosophies of life which are stark contrast to Islam and Deen. Human beings, in particular children are stealthy by nature. They take to what is taught to them and inculcate in them the philosophy and ethos of the environment they are in. Gradually they think and act according to the ethos of the environment. How will one change that once it is engrained? How can a parent guarantee that the education is separated from the ethos of the school?  

There are many students who have studied in these types of institutions that have become influenced by their professors and left the fold of Islam. Otherwise they become enlightened thinkers and start objecting in the rulings of Shari'ah and thereby jeopardize their Imaan.

You as a parent should seriously ask yourself the following questions:

Do I want to loose my child?

Am I concerned for his Deen and Aakirah?

Have I instilled within my child the love for Islam and Deen?

Have I sufficiently educated my child regarding Islam and Deen?

It is our advice that the child be sent to a school where the child's Deen and Aakirah is protected. Sending the children to Christian schools will damage the Imaani spirit of the child for which the parents will be answerable in the Court of Allah.