Date: 24th June 2007

My sister has sent my nephews to another city for hafis studies. The one of 15 is most unhappy ...

Question

My sister has sent my nephews to another city for hafis studies. The one of 15 is most unhappy  - it seems he has also lost focus. Finally my sister has returned him home, where they have attempted to send him to a school here. He found this school to be a bit lax in it's approach to quranic studies. My sister now wants to send him back! She and her husband feel he MUST just go there and complete this studies. He is not overwhelmed with this, and shows signs of rebellion.

What do they do now? They feel that if he does not complete this he will never complete anything else. And because it is a religious following it must just be done.

Is this fair to him? We, the family, feels they should find a school here. They feel we are interfering? I would like to comfort her but fear that my approach may not be islamic enough.

Your wisdoms would be appreciated

Answer

The parents know their child better than anyone else. Surely, they have the interest of their child at heart. They will do whatever they honestly feel is best for their child. As relatives, your’ll may present your opinions in a most dignified manner and leave the parents to consider your opinions and decide.