Date: 18th June 2007

Is it ok for me to be with my non Muslim family while they consume alcohol?

Question

I m french , converted to islam . I live in London with my husband who is a muslim also .

My family is not muslim ,and they live in France. So when we go and visit them it happens that there is wine on the table .

They drink sometimes wine when we re having a meal, i don t touch the bottle but i am seating at the same table . Also when they celebrate birthday, they drink alcohol. I m in the same room because i want to be with them for this occasion . Is it allowed for me to sit with them , and if it is not how can I still go and visit my family , i love them and i need to spend time with them .

Answer

Shariah encourages one to maintain a good relationship with ones parents even though they are non Muslims. You should visit them and always strive to keep them happy. Furthermore, your good relation towards them will also serve as a Dawah and invitation to Islam. However, in maintaining a good relation with ones parents, one should also take into consideration the teachings of Islam and Deen.

You may join them for the meal on condition you observe the laws of Hijaab (if there are any strangers), there is no music and the food is Halaal. If you are doubtful with regards to the food being Halaal, you may eat vegetables or seafood.