Country: Pakistan
Date: 5th June 2007

I sometimes use my credit card and pay off the amount before any interest is charged on it.....Also If a woman approaches a Islamic Court with an appeal that her husband has raped her.

Question

1) I sometimes use my credit card and pay off the amount before any interest is charged on it.

Currently I require cash and if I take out cash from my credit card, I will be charged 4% of the total amount of cash that I withdraw. Is this interest? This 4% is fixed on any amount of cash that one wish to take out. Currently I need to take out 150 dinaars, on which 6 dinaars would be charged from me. Are these 6 dinaars interest?

2)  If a woman approaches a Islamic Court with an appeal that her husband has raped her. What would be the ruling of the court? I do understand that its wrong for a husband to force his wife and wrong for a wife to reject her husband's needs, but I want to know the Islamic Ruling and Jurisprudence in this case. Will the husband or his wife be termed guilty if it indeed has been proven that she has been raped by her husband.

Answer

1. If you pay your credit timeously, the company will not charge you interest. It appears the 4% is in lieu of bank charges for using its facility. Hence, the six dinars will not be interest paid by you.
  2. Islam does not recognise the concept of rape between the husband and wife. Etiquettes of intimacy between the husband and wife in which both should be considerate to each others feelings is a different issue.